Questions? Contact Kristine Creveling, RD, Food Program Manager
1) Technical Assistance: As a part of this collaborative, participating corner store owners receive 12 months of mentorship (up to 5 hours per month) and technical assistance from Propeller, including one-on-one consulting, technical assistance, and the experience necessary to reach financial sustainability.
2) Produce Distribution & Subsidy: To address the issue of cost, the Healthy Corner Store Collaborative will directly provide participating stores with fresh fruits and vegetables. During the first four months of the program, HCSC funds will subsidize $150 of produce per store each month and the subsidy will decline incrementally each month thereafter. Stores participating in the program keep 100% of profits from this inventory. The collaborative orders produce from local wholesalers twice a week, a low volume, high frequency ordering model designed to reduce risk of spoilage and adjust orders based on demand.
3) Capacity Enhancement: The Healthy Corner Store Collaborative provides participating stores with critical equipment such as coolers, shelving, and fixtures as corner stores meet program milestones.
4) Marketing Materials: The Healthy Corner Store Collaborative provides corner store operators with culturally-relevant marketing materials to promote their new fresh products, including signs, banners, and flyers.
5) Nutrition Education: Customers are directly engaged through in-store nutrition and education sessions led by Propeller affiliates. Cooking demos, tastings, nutrition lessons, etc. are implemented to increase fresh food purchases and improving food-preparation skills for corner store shoppers.